LAKE OF THE OZARKS
AMATEUR RADIO CLUB MINUTES
August 9, 2017
The meeting was called to order at 6.59 pm by Jimmy Schapiro (KD0FPC). Introductions were made. There were 13 members and 2 visitors present.
The July minutes were sent out via email. They were approved. The treasurer’s report was read.
Standing committee reports:
- REPEATER: Fred Groce (K0FG) said that the repeater is working. “Message 5” is the one that announces the monthly meeting.
- CAMDEN COUNTY EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS: The emergency drill was run today. It is always run on the same day as our club meeting at 10:00 a.m. Who was net control? How many check-ins were there?
Mark your calendars for the emergency drill and
Club meeting for September 13th.
See announcement of “Special Presentation” below.
- 10 METER NET: There were no people on the net last night. Several people tried to get on, even called out to see if anyone else was there, and nothing was heard by any of them.
- 2 METER NET: September Net Control: Fred Groce
October Net Control: Jack McGuire
November Net Control: Jeanne Heib
December Net Control: Glenn Commons
- TESTING LIAISON: There were two people present for testing.
- WEB PAGE: Jack McGuire reported that the website has had over 100,000 hits and is chugging along. He would like photos and articles for publication. Please submit to Jack.
- TRAILER COMMITTEE: We’ll need a work day when the weather cools off to do some maintenance: fix the broken window, charge battery, etc.. Glenn asked if the repair of the broken window on the trailer were something that we can do ourselves. No one knew, so we’ll have to see when we do a maintenance day.
- Wrecking Crew: No report
- Nominating Committee. inactive
- OLD BUSINESS: Fred has been researching the best method to add Echolink to our repeater and said that he will apply for a node for our club. He has a spare laptop computer, spare 2 meter radio and the internet connection to get it to work, but he needs a special cable. It was moved, seconded and approved that the Club pay for the cable to enable Fred to proceed. Stand by for news as this looks to be something Fred will accomplish. This will enable people to check in to our 2-meter nets from around the world, such as our snowbird members in the winter time.
- NEW BUSINESS:
Fred Groce reported that he installed a Delta Loop NVIS antenna, but even with the addition of a loading coil, it is “not performing as intended” and is 3 to 4 db below is dipole antenna. This is very disappointing.
Eagle Days: Glenn asked if we should plan on doing Eagle Days again this year, either from the EOC, if we can get access, or elsewhere including the Communications Trailer. So many of those attending this meeting go south during the winter that there were not enough people at the meeting to make a good evaluation on whether we have enough people to run such an event. If you did not attend the meeting but will be here in January 2018 and would like to work this one-day event, please let Glenn know.
John MacLeod (KZ0KZO) had said that he planned to have his video net on the air by September 1st but, due to some health issues which have slowed him down, is postponing the start date to October 1st.
Jack McGuire went to a shop in Versailles that can make us Club patches and came back with a quote of just over $5.00 each if we order 24. These are not embroidered but are instead printed. He brought a blank sample which was passed around for those attending to see. The sample patch was rectangular, but they could be round. Glenn said that he has only four of the old patches left. No vote was taken on the issue of ordering them.
Jack brought printed copies of the new ham band frequency allocations which he handed out for free.
- Special Presentation: Tom Smith (WA0OFO) volunteered to do a demonstration of how to prepare and solder a PL259 connector to a coax cable at the September meeting. Please plan to attend so you can heckle Tom.
- Sickness and Injuries: Frank Galinski has been in the hospital but, as of the club meeting, is back home.
- Ham Equipment for sale or swap: Check the website.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:28 p.m.
Glenn Commons (K0KER)