May 2018 Minutes

LAKE OF THE OZARKS
AMATEUR RADIO CLUB MINUTES

May 9, 2018    

The meeting was called to order by Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO) at 7:00 p.m.  Introductions followed: There were 20 members present and two visitors. 

The April, 2018 minutes had been sent out via email and were approved.  The financial report was also approved.

Standing committee reports:

  • REPEATER: Gary Welsh (N0RIJ) said that the repeater is still there and operating.  The stand-by repeater had been installed for a serviceability test and the normally used repeater was put back in place.  Fred Groce (K0FG) planned to go to the repeater site with Jerry Parmer, (KE0OTM) and Jack McGuire (KD0QEB) for training next week.  This will increase the number of people capable of switching out the repeater should one fail.  Update: Repeater change over procedures training was conducted on Friday May 11th by Gary (N0RIJ) and Fred (K0FG) with Jack (KD0QEB) and Frank (KS2Z) being trained.
  • EMRGENCY NET: Ernie Venus said that he had nine check-ins and encouraged everyone to get setup to use the 955 repeater for future emergency work.

Mark your calendars for the emergency drill at 10:00 a.m. and club meeting on June 13, 2018.

  • TRAILER COMMITTEE:  Jerry Parmer, Fred Groce and Jack McGuire worked on the trailer a few weeks ago and said that there is still a connector that needs to be installed for the lights.  (Those names seem to keep popping up.) Tom Smith agreed to pick one up at Wal*Mart.  It has been purchased.
  • TESTING LIAISON: There was one person for testing.
  • WEBSITE:  Jack said everything is working well, but would appreciate anyone submitting articles, facts, cartoons, for the site.
  • WRECKING CREW:  Due to Mike Eddin’s phone call letting us know he would be in town, Glenn (K0KER) asked for the wrecking crew to participate the following Sunday afternoon to help take down several antennas from Ralph Eddin’s (SK) house.  It was then pointed out that the date in question was Mother’s Day.  A quick phone call to Mike resolved the issue, and the date was changed to the next Saturday, May 12th.  Ray Tucker (N0ZYX), Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO), Tom Smith (WA0OFO), Fred Groce, Glenn Commons, Jack McGuire, Jerry Parmer, Scott and Ben Poest (KB8KGU and KE0ONU) all showed up to help.  There was some scheduling glitch, so the effort ran rather late with Fred staying until Mike got there.  Thanks to all who participated.
  • 2 METER NET : May Net Control:  Glenn Commons (K0KER)
                              June Net Control:  Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO)
                              July Net Control:   Jerry Parmer (KE0OTM)
  • 10 METER NET: There were five (5) check-ins.

OLD BUSINESS:

  • The Scout Radio Merit Badge issue came up again, and Lee Cole (KC0TKY) said he would email Larry Cicchinelli the scout contact.  Larry will contact the Scout contact person and invite the Scouts to Field Day. 
  • The Gun Club that petitioned us to do some amateur radio training in October was supposed to send a member to our club meeting; however, no one showed up.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • FIELD DAY
    • Field Day: Jack McGuire said he would be bringing his PSK capable radio, complete with BuddiStick antenna and with a computer to operate digital.  Others are welcome to take a turn operating this station as well.
    • Larry asked for a show of hands as to who will be participating in Field Day and again for those who will help with Set-up.  The result was encouraging.
    • An initial operator/logger schedule was sent around at the meeting so people could sign up.
    • Larry said he would create an initial schedule from the sign-up sheet and send it out via blast email so people could see it.
    • Larry Cicchinelli said he would organize the set-up and operator/logger schedules.  Please contact him via email with your desired operating times.  He will sort it out. If you have not yet signed up, please email Larry (K3PTOO@nullgmail.com) (yes, that is correct.) and let him know when you want to participate.  He will have the initial schedule ready to review and modify at the June club meeting.
    • Tom Smith agreed to take charge of the Saturday evening dinner, a pitch-in, to which family members are invited.  Tom will supply sandwiches.  Tom’s brother, Tim, is coming over from K.C. and is bringing some Kansas City – Stack’s baked beans.  Yahoo!!
    • We are all requested to bring a covered dish to the potluck.
      • The club does not have lawn chairs. Please bring yours to use during operating times and especially for the Saturday dinner.  Otherwise, you may be known as a ground sitter.
    • Ray Tucker asked if anyone had taken the position of being in charge of Field Day.  No one had, but Larry Cicchinelli, club president, said “I guess it falls to me.”  Thanks, Larry, for volunteering.  We do appreciate it.  You are now the Head Honcho.
  • Committee Members:  We currently have three committees. The question of who is on each committee came up. Currently, the committees are:
    • Repeater Committee: Gary Welsh, Fred Groce, are the current members.  The by-laws state that we must have at least four members on this committee, and Jack McGuire volunteered to be on the committee.  We still need another volunteer to train on our repeater’s operation.
    • Wrecking Crew has six members: Fred Groce, Tom Smith, Ray Tucker, Glenn Commons, Jack McGuire and Larry Cicchinelli, some of whom signed on at the meeting.  Remember, we don’t climb towers.
    • Trailer Committee:  Fred Groce, Jerry Parmer, Lee Cole, and Jimmy Schapiro are the current members.  Currently, keys for the storage facility are held by Fred Groce and Glenn Commons.

If anyone wants to be considered as a member of one of these committees (or removed there from), please let Glenn know or bring it up at the June meeting.

  • VE’s: Fred Groce is the coordinator for testing.  He agreed to send Glenn a list of our Club’s VE’s. 
  • Sickness and Injuries: Nothing to report.
  • Ham Equipment for sale or swap: Check the website:  loarc.com
    • Our procedure for allowing anyone to list equipment is in place.  Please download the equipment for sale submission form, fill it out and email it back to Jack McGuire per instructions on the website.

The meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:52 p.m.

Respectively submitted,
Glenn Commons (KØKER)
Secretary/Treasurer