October 2018 Minutes

LAKE OF THE OZARKS
AMATEUR RADIO CLUB MINUTES

October 10, 2018   

Mark your calendars for the emergency drills on November 14, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. on the 146.730 repeater and at approximately 10:10 a.m. on the 146.955 repeater. And mark your calendars for the club meeting on the same day.

The meeting was called to order by Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO) at 7:00 p.m.  Introductions followed: There were 13 members present and 6 visitors. 

The September, 2018 minutes had been sent out via email and were approved.  The financial report was presented.

Standing committee reports:

  • REPEATER:Gary (N0RIJ) said that the repeater is working well, and many agreed.
  • EMERGENCY NET: Note: If both repeaters are working, there will be two Emergency Nets, the first one at 10:00 a.m. on the 146.730 and the second one at approximately at 10:10 a.m. on the 146.955.Ernie (W0LTC) reported that the 146.955 repeater was temporarily down so only the Club Station’s repeater,146.730 was used.. Today, he had nine (9) check-ins.  The 146.955 is working again; it just took a reboot.  Remember, there will be two emergency nets on the second Wednesday of each month: see above in red.
  • TRAILER COMMITTEE: Fred (K0FG) said that the trailer is once again inside the storage garage.
  • TESTING LIAISON: There was one person in attendance wanting to test for her Extra license. Fred ran the test, Jack (KD9QEB) and Glenn (K0KER) stayed to help. Sandy Crane passed!  Congratulations, Sandy.
  • WEB PAGE:Jack McGuire (KDØQEB) said that the website is up and running and as always, he is looking for anything new to post from the members. PLEASE Contribute.Shortly after the meeting, Jack updated the web page.  Check it out.
  • WRECKING CREW:  No one has asked for any help.
  • 2 METER NET October Net Control: Gary Welsh (N0RIJ), the first Saturday Glenn Commons
                                                                 (K0KER) middle weeks and Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO) the last
                                                                 Saturday.
                              November Net Control: Jack McGuire (KD0QEB)
                              December Net Control:: Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO)
  • 10 METER NET:Larry (K3PTO) reported that he ran the net this week and had only two check-ins and only three the week before. Some people said that they tried to get on but could not hear anyone well enough to identify them and were not heard when they transmitted.  A discussion of vertical vs. horizontal polarization followed.  Larry would appreciate having more check-ins.
  • ECHOLINK: “Houston, we have a problem.”  Jerry Parmer (KE0OTM) reported  that his wife surprised him by cancelling Charter internet service and signing up with Hughes Net.  That satellite ISP cannot handle the speeds required to maintain an Echolink connection, consequently, we no longer have an Echolink connection.  If anyone has a high speed ISP and a computer to use for Echolink, and would like to host Echolink for the Club, we have the radio equipment for your use to do so.  Let Larry or Fred know.

OLD BUSINESS:

Two of our visitors this evening were members of the gun club which requested a presentation on ham radio at one of their meetings. This event will take place later in October at a shooting range in Ulman, MO; our presenters will be Larry Cicchinelli, Fred Groce and Glenn Commons.

Per an email from Larry Gregory (now residing in TX) the radio located at the Climax Springs School, mentioned in last month’s newsletter, was provided by the Club. Ron Swiney (AB0P) checked out the situation by going to the school and met with Mr. Chris Kerr.  He found that there is a 2 meter radio and power supply there (and a coax tagged “HF”) and a sign stating that the equipment was made available through Club’s and local business’ donations several years ago.  It was mentioned that, at the time, there was one student who was licensed and could operate the radio.  That student is no longer there.  Larry agreed to contact Chris Kerr and determine what he thinks should be done with the school equipment. Larry will report at our next meeting.  We also learned that here is a radio at the Climax Springs Fire Station. 

NEW BUSINESS:

Club’s equipment. The 2-meter radio and power supply at the Mid-County Fire Station is no longer in use; the Club’s antenna is connected to the F.D. radio, and it was moved and seconded and passed that we remove the radio.  However, it was mentioned that we used the loan of the antenna to the F.D. as a bargaining chip for getting to use the meeting room each month for free.  A motion was made, seconded and passed to hold off any decisions on the radios should wait for more information.  Ernie Venis (W0LTC) agreed to contact the Mid-County Fire Chief to obtain his opinion on our removing the radio but leaving the antenna.  Ernie also agreed to contact the Climax Fire Chief for the same purpose.  Tom Smith mentioned that it would be a good idea to tag such equipment with a label noting who owns it and whom to contact should there be a need.  Decisions on whether or not to retrieve the above mentioned equipment and what to do with it will be deferred to the next meeting.

Ham Magazine Distribution: Tom Smith (WA0OFO) suggested we create some labels to put on our old personal QST or CQ Magazines and distribute them in barber shops, laundromats, all kinds of waiting rooms, etc.  Larry asked Jerry (KE0OTM) to create some labels for us, and he agreed. If you have old magazines, please prepare to distribute them; the labels will be available soon.

Public Relations Representative. Jack said that Wally (KI0NX) was our public relations rep., but he has decided to let “some young stud” do it in the future.  Anyone wishing to take that position (contacting news outlets with announcements, inviting media people to our events, etc.) should email Larry at K3PTO@nullgmail.com.And, regardless of age, will henceforth be acclaimed to be the Club’s “young stud.”

It’s Time to Operate: Fred mentioned that since fall is here, it is contest season, and there will be multiple opportunities to work HF and hook some easy contacts.

Dues are Due: Glenn mentioned that dues are now being accepted for 2019.  Since we will be having our annual Christmas party in December, it would be great if you would please bring your check for next year’s dues to the November meeting.  Cash for dues will not be accepted at this meeting: only checks.

EAGLE DAYS:Glenn said that if we want to operate our Eagle Days Special Evening Station, we should be submitting our application for the “one-by-one” call sign now. This will get the announcement in QST Magazine.  At first, only three hands were raised for participation.  Some discussion followed and there was a second call for interest.  More people showed interest, and it was pointed out that at least three people who participated last year were not present at the meeting.  Based on this interest, it was agreed that we should go ahead with obtaining the call sign, and Fred agreed to apply for it on behalf of the Club.  Tom Smith suggested that we put a notice in the local papers and invite other, non-club hams to participate.

Training Classes:Jack asked if anyone were interested in having a class, particularly for newer hams, on ham radio or anything electronics related. We do have a request for a class on antennas next Spring.  Anyone wanting to request a certain type of class or willing to give a class should contact Jack.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE:Fred reported that the nominating committee (consisting of Fred, Gary Welsh (N0RIJ) and Jimmy Schapiro (KD0FPC)) had secured agreement from Larry (President) and Glenn (Secretary / Treasurer) to remain in office next year, but so far, we don’t have a candidate for Vice President. Anyone wishing to serve the Club in this capacity should contact Fred.  Voting will be at the November meeting.

ROSTER REQUEST:It was requested that a copy of the current roster be sent out to the membership. This was done the day after the meeting. Please check your personal information on the roster.  If you see any needed corrections, please email Glenn, and he will correct and send out a corrected version.gcommons@nullgmail.com.

Sickness and Injuries: Nothing to report.

Ham Equipment for sale or swap :Check the website: loarc.com

Our procedure for allowing anyone to list equipment is in place.  Please download    the equipment for sale submission form, fill it out and email it back to Jack McGuire per instructions on the website.

The meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:52p.m.

Respectively submitted,
Glenn Commons (KØKER)
Secretary/Treasurer