November 2018 Minutes

LAKE OF THE OZARKS
AMATEUR RADIO CLUB MINUTES
November 14, 2018    

 

The meeting was called to order by Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO) at 7:01 p.m.  Introductions followed: There were 15 members present and 2 visitors. 

The October, 2018 minutes had been sent out via email and were approved with one correction.  The financial report was also approved.

Standing committee reports:

  • REPEATER:The repeater is working fine.
  • EMRGENCY NET: Ernie said he had six check-ins on the .730 repeater. The .955 repeater has not been working because the power supply was producing too much voltage. Ernie said it has been fixed as of today, and is working better than ever putting out 300 watts. John (KZ0KZO) said he thought there was some interference and someone was talking over him.  John also said that we are not operating properly by using the net control’s personal call sign; rather, we should be calling “Net Control” once net control has identified himself with his call sign.  Ernie disagreed. A vociferous discussion broke out.  Larry said we could not solve the question by personal opinion and asked John to look up the regulations and report back at the next meeting.

Mark your calendars for the emergency drills starting at 10:00 a.m. on our repeater (146.730) and afterward on 146.550 and our Club meeting on December 12,2018, the day of our Christmas Party.

  • TRAILER COMMITTEE: Nothing to report.
  • TESTING LIAISON: There was one person there for testing.
  • WEB PAGE:Jack McGuire (KDØQEB) said he had updated the minutes and Eatin’ Meetin’ information. Jack said that Tom (WAØOFO)will be net control operating on the USS Missouri from Hawaii on Sunday, November 25th in the afternoon.
  • WRECKING CREW: Nothing to report.
  • 2 METER NET: November Net Control: Jack McGuire (KD0QEB)
                               December Net Control:: Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO)
                               January Net Control:    Open.  Let Larry know if you want to take it.
  • 10 METER NET:Larry reported that last night, there were three check-ins. The week before, there was only net control and no check-ins, but it was election returns night.
  • ECHOLINK:There are still some bugs, and Fred said he needs someone to work with him on testing it.
  • OLDBUSINESS: What to do with our radio equipment at Mid County Fire Station, Climax Springs Fire Station and school. It was decided to leave our radio equipment at Mid County to use in an emergency.  The Climax Springs school equipment was checked out by Ron Swiney (AB0P) who said that, while the radio is old, it does work.  He said that the school is looking into getting someone licensed and capable of using it.  Ron recommended that the radio be left in place.  Larry reported that the Climax Springs Fire Station contact has been difficult to reach, so, until we have made contact, no decision will be made.  This will be revisited at the next meeting. 

Report on Gun Club training:Fred (K0FG), Larry (K3PTO) and Glenn (K0KER) went to their shooting range site and gave a talk on ham radio in their Army tent classroom.  The Club’s  interest was primarily to determine what type of radios to use on their property during their Club’s field activity which covers several hilly acres.  Based on this information, our team discussed FRS and CB for their hunting purposes, but some of the men were still interested in ham radio, one of whom is a recently licensed and another man who has let his license from years ago lapse but is interested in getting active again.  Topics including repeaters and how they work, HF activity, line of site, skip, licensing requirements and equipment types concluded the day’s presentation.  (Update since the meeting: the Gun Club so appreciated the talk that our three members gave that they sent us a check for $50.00 which has been deposited in our general account.)

Eagle Days:  Fred has obtained a call sign for LOARC’s use on Eagle Days.  It is Special Event Station (W0E).  We will operateJanuary 5, 2019 for just one day from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the EOC in Camdenton.  This is a good way for Tech licensed hams to get some experience operating on the HF bands under the supervision of higher licensed hams.Larry asked that anyone interested in being an operator send him an email to let him know. K3ptoo@nullgmail.com

It was also mentioned that our call sign is valid for the whole weekend, so anyone wanting to operate from their home on Sunday could do so, but if you do, please coordinate with Glenn (K0KER).  Eagle Days 2019 QSL cards will be prepared for emailing for a small fund raiser fee.

Equipment and magazine distribution labels:Per a discussion from the previous meeting,Jerry(KE0OTM)printed up some labels to put on ham radio magazinesto note who donated them and advertise our club.  And these labels can be also applied to any ham radio equipment the Club supplies to fire stations, etc. for emergency use.

  • NEW BUSINESS:

Public Relations Representative:Larry asked that anyone interested in being our PRR, to let him know.  (Update since the meeting: Gary Sundstrom, (KE5JTL) our newest member, has since offered to take that position.  Thanks, Gary.)

Thank You:  Speaking of thank you’s, a huge thanks goes out to Jack McGuire (KD0QEB) for being our loyal V.P. for the last 12 years.  Well, Jack says it seems that long.  It might have been only three or four.  Either way, Jack still serves the Club as our Webmaster and has been an excellent V.P.  Thanks, Jack!

Training Classes:Larry said that the subject of training classes had been brought up at our last meeting, and Jack said that he would be willing to give, or find someone to give, a class on whatever people want.  Possible subjects, in addition to licensing training, would be computer programming, PSK, basic electronics, and antenna building as examples.  Let your imagination and your desire to learn run wild, and let Jack or Larry know if you have a desired subject.(Update since the meeting: Glenn mentioned that he had received a box of VHS tapes covering many subjects which he cataloged.  Most are from the ARRL, some from CQ Magazine, and two sets cover mathematics.  There is also a tape on storm watching.  The cataloged list will be published on website once Jack has a chance to figure out how to do it, and these tapes can be checked out for viewing.  Anyone have a VCR player?)

Christmas Dinner:A discussion on where to hold the annual December Christmas Party ensued.  Golden Rock, Lil’ Rizzos’ and the Rusty Rooster were considered.  The Rusty Rooster is usually open for breakfast and lunch only, but they had offered to open just for us for dinner. A decision was that our party would be held at the Rusty Rooster.  (Since the meeting, an email invitation – sign-up form has been sent out to all club members.  As of this writing, we have twenty-five people signed up with a few hold outs still considering it.)  If you signed up, please show up: the restaurant is buying food and paying staff just for us.  Let’s not stiff ‘em.

Monthly Club Speaker:  Gary, (KE5JTL) mentioned that his previous club, in Texas, had speakers at each meeting and wondered if we would consider having speakers come to our meeting.  As an example, they recently had an expert on “microwave signatures” speak.  Yes, we have had speakers in the past, but, as Fred pointed out, most of the times we have had a speaker, people have departed the meeting leaving only a few people in the audience.  However, if we can find people to make a presentation of general interest, we could entertain the offer.Fred said that normally, the Vice President is responsible for finding and coordinating speakers.

Officer Election:Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO) agreed to stay on as president as did Glenn Commons (K0KER) as Secretary/Treasurer.  Ron Swiney (AB0P), (in spite of what Fred said above about the VP’s duties) agreed to run for Vice President.  All three were elected by acclamation.  Congratulations, all.

ARRL North America Sweepstakes: Fred said that the ARRL North America Sweepstakes will be held this coming weekend. (November 15th and 16th.

  • Sickness and Injuries: Nothing to report.
  • Ham Equipment for sale or swap:Check the website: loarc.com
    Our procedure for allowing anyone to list equipment is in place.
      Please download the equipment for sale submission form, fill it out and email it back to Jack McGuire per instructions on the website.

The meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:45 p.m.

Respectively submitted,
Glenn Commons (KØKER)
Secretary/Treasurer