LAKE OF THE OZARKS
AMATEUR RADIO CLUB MINUTES
September 09, 2020
The meeting was called to order by Larry Cicchinelli (K3PTO) at 7:00 pm.
Introductions followed: There were 12 members present and 2 visitors for the meeting.
Approved Aug minutes
Standing Committee Reports
- REPEATER: Fred KØFG received the radios from the repair shop and made a video of the issue and is waiting to hear back on how they are going to resolve this issue. As of today, there is still no tone required for operation.
- TRAILER COMMITTEE: No Report – Storage was discussed in Old Business
- WRECKING CREW: No Report
- TESTING LIAISON: 1 scheduled for testing tonight. (General)
- WEB PAGE: Jack McGuire WJØTM – 3 photos were updated. Still waiting for 10. Please let Jack know if you don’t want a picture posted. All others please send in the pictures ASAP
- EMERGENCY NET: 9 Check-ins on 146.73 & 0 Check-ins on 146.955 (currently out of service)
- 10 Meter Net: 4 Check-ins:
- 2 METER NET:
- August Net Control: Ron Swiney – ABØP
- September Net Control: Jack McGuire – WJØTM
- October Net Control: Gary Sundstrom – KE5JTL
- November Net Control: Glenn Commons – KØKER
- December Net Control: Frank Miller – KS2Z
- January Net Control: Larry Cicchinelli – K3PTO
- February Net Control: Jack McGuire – WJØTM
Air Show 2020 – Sept 12: The event is free to the public, but parking is $10 per vehicle.
- Setup is from 7:00am to 8:30am. The setup must be complete by 8:30am.
- Tear down is scheduled for 5:00pm. We have been asked to keep things setup until then.
- The club will be provided 2 parking passes for those helping with the booth.
- We have two brochures from the ARRL that Glenn KØKER printed for the booth.
- We have handouts for the upcoming training on October 3rd.
- We will plan to use the banner from the trailer. Robert will pick up the trailer items on Friday.
- Ham Study online will be providing some promo items (pens and bumper stickers)
- Plan to setup a table with some Ham related equipment including a HF radio and a HT.
- Steve AA4SB will bring the canopy and some weights.
- Dale KEØYFL will provide the Table
- Everyone should bring your own chair.
- Setup crew will meet at the Emergency Management Office at 7:30 to car pool if necessary. Steve AA4SB, Larry K3PTO, Dale KEØYFL, Glenn KØKER and Robert KEØTTL will help with the setup.
- We want attendees to be able to interact with others on the repeater during this event. The following members have volunteered to monitor the club repeater from 8:30am until 4:00pm. Frank KS2Z, Jack WJØTM and Ray NØZYX
- Robert will check the trailer for banner, band charts and IC-718
- Glenn will bring his G-90 with a mag-mount antenna for HF demonstrations
- There was a question about using the trailer. Since it would not be available for public viewing due to COVID, it was decided that the effort would not be worth the trouble to set it up. We will NOT use the trailer for this event.
- In the event of rain, the event may be rescheduled to Sunday.
Class/Training and Testing:
- The training will be held at the Emergency Management Office. 8:30am -4:30pm. Testing will begin around 3pm.
- We should arrive at 8:00am and Ernie will make sure the office is open.
- Those expressing commitment to help with the Study/Test event were: KØKER, K6IMZ, K3PTO, KØFG, AA4SB and KEØTTL.
- Those that are willing to be VEs for the afternoon testing session are: KØKER, K3PTO, KØFG, AA4SB and KS2Z
- There will be a schedule sent to those who are participating.
- Glenn KØKER will purchase the Baofeng HT for the drawing.
- Glenn KØKER will print the study materials.
- Ernie is willing program the radio when it arrives.
- The format is the same as the class last year. It will be a Self-Study only/Test prep class.
Storage Options for Trailer
- So far the best option is to store at Camden County EMA for free and purchase a cover.
- The cost for cover was briefly discussed to refresh everyone’s memory.
- Basic 12’ by 26’ (9ft tall) structure will cost $1,540 installed.
- Add partial sides and A-frame style roof will cost $1,890 installed.
- Upgrade to 12 gauge steel frame w/20 year warranty $2,240 installed
- NEW Proposals
- There was discussion on spending money on a cover versus spending money on a new trailer that shouldn’t need a roof and may be easier to transport.
- The current trailer was modified 15 years ago and is very heavy for current vehicles types.
- It may be possible to purchase a new/newer trailer for about $2,600. Which isn’t a lot more than trying to purchase a storage cover.
- If a new trailer was purchased, it would eliminate the need for build a storage structure.
- There was discussion on whether to sell or trade in the current trailer to help fund something newer and lighter.
- It would be an empty shell and need to have the interior set up for operations.
- Wiring – AC, DC and Coax
- We could use some of the coax and other parts from the old trailer.
- The club could possibly contact those who donated to the trailer project in 2006 to see if there may be interest in soliciting a bit more $$ to help with this project.
- The original donations were solicited for participation in ARES
- If we were to solicit more funds, the club would need to look at committing to future participation in ARES (this was the main emphasis for the funds that were raised)
- AA4SB made a motion to get some options on a new trailer. Motion was approved.
- Glenn KØKER and Robert KEØTTL will look into options and present at the next meeting.
Nominating Committee – Past presidents are on the nominating committee.
- Larry will contact the past presidents and board member so to form this committee prior to next month’s meeting.
- Steve WØSRE and Jim Nugent KEØZMY have applied for Membership in the club. The memberships was approved by the club. They will be added to the member’s list when the dues are paid.
Sickness and Injuries: Gary Welsh is recovering after a medical procedure last week.
Ham Equipment for sale or swap:
Jack WJØTM sent out an email with some equipment listed.
Ray NØZYX has a J-pole antenna available for the club. He has a Triplite power supply 15A $20
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:57 pm.
Robert Harmon KEØTTL