LAKE OF THE OZARKS
AMATEUR RADIO CLUB MINUTES
April 14, 2021
The meeting was called to order by Gary Sundstrom KE5JTL, President, at 7:00 pm.
Introductions: There were 16 members and 4 visitors present for the meeting.
New Members: Buford Casebolt KFØEAO and Joe Udell KØEUQ gave a brief personal history and a vote was held and their new memberships were accepted.
Minutes: A motion to accept the minutes of the March 10, 2021 as received was made by Jack McGuire WJØTM and seconded by Glenn Commons KØKER. Motion passed.
Standing Committee Reports:
- REPEATER: Fred Groce KØFG said that everything is working okay with tones and repeater announcements.
- TRAILER COMMITTEE: Fred Groce said that he and Gary Sundstrom did a trailer inventory. Fred said that the trailer could use some cleaning. There will be a clean-up committee of Dale Bland KEØYFL, Steve Bouck KDØSB and Jack McGuire WJØTM. It will not be moved yet since there is no canopy for it yet. It was discovered that the halon fire extinguisher is out of service. There was discussion about types of extinguishers and to contact Camden County Fire and Safety to check on replacement options and cost. The equipment in the trailer is covered by our insurance policy.
- WRECKING CREW: Glenn Commons said that he had taken down towers and antennas at his house. Glenn will be moving to Texas soon.
- TESTING LIAISON: Steve Bouck reported that at last month’s testing he had two pass the Tech test and three passed the General test. There are none here tonight for testing.
- WEB PAGE: Jack McGuire reported that the web page is up and running. He has added some upcoming events. He is still looking for new info for the webpage. He is looking into putting an actual calendar on the site. Jack shared some information about where to purchase parts for a hex beam. He said that K4KIO is inflating their prices. Their supplier is Max-Gain Systems (mgs4u.com) so purchase from them instead. Gary said that he would like to see this type of information shared with the club.
- EMERGENCY NET: Ernie Venus WØLTC reported that there were 4 check ins on146.73 at 10 am and 4 check ins on 146.955 at 10:10 am today.
- 10 Meter Net: There were 4 check ins last night on 28.410 on Tuesdays at 9 pm.
- 2 METER NET: There were 23 check ins on 146.73 on Saturdays at 9 am.
April Net Control: Gary Sundstrom KE5JTL
May Net Control: Gary Sundstrom KE5JTL
June Net Control: Dale Bland KEØYFL
July Net Control: Patrick McDonald KEØUSI
- Steve Bouck passed around a sign-up sheet for members to volunteer for Field Day to be held on June 26 at the Missouri Department of Conservation. Steve read his report on last years field day since numerous people at this meeting that were not at the last field day. Field day allows everyone to operate on bands higher than their current license. There were 11 members interested in field day as well as one maybe.
- Steve Bouck said that now might be a good time for Techs to upgrade to Generals because of Cycle 25. There will be greater sunspot activity so that HF should be getting better for the next five or six years. At Field Day you will be able to get on regardless of what your license class is.
- Gary Sundstrom discussed the RF Safety Manual that ARRL had sent out to its members. The FCC is allowed to conduct non warrant inspections at any time to look at your radio equipment to check for RF safety. Gary is looking for someone to volunteer for an RF Safety Group. Call or email him if you are interested.
- Gary Sundstrom would like to have everyone start wearing a name tag. A new Public Information Officer is needed to replace Glenn Commons. He also discussed the following Special Committees that he would like to have for the club: Education, Youth, Special Events and Trailer Transport. Gary would like volunteers and would like to have members let him know what they want to do. Also need someone to haul the trailer to events.
- Gary Sundstrom needs help with the training class next Wednesday at the Emergency Management Office.
Sickness and Injuries:
- Fred Groce reported that Ralli Mottar W9TPA was in the hospital and asked that a card be sent to him.
Ham Equipment for sale or swap:
- Glenn Commons has extra equipment to give away.
- Steve Bouck said that Jerry Bates KCØDXV has a couple of radios to donate. They are a DX100 and DX440. He also has an Eaton E5 that he wants to use himself. One needs repaired.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm.
Cheryl Bland, KDØEYQ